Pages

Thursday 5 April 2012

Behind the scenes and in the audience

 A day late, but it's here at last!!!!

When I came up with the theme for this week's discussion, I thought we would all end up talking about our experiences when going to watch a theatrical production. But Anne took it into a whole different direction: actually being part of a theatrical production.

I've had my fair share of those. I've played both a cow and a dolphin in two different plays we did at school (do not laugh, I was only 7 and 8 at the time), but from then on, I usually chose to be in the sidelines: give me anything to do behind the scenes and I will do it for you. I feel much more comfortable being the person who organises stuff rather than being on stage. And that sums my theatrical career!

The thing with the theatre is that I didn't discover it properly until about 3 or 4 years ago. Living on an island means that we don't get big theatrical productions and you don't get any to choose from. We only ever get local productions (not all of which are very good) and the occasional "travelling thatre". The first time I went to a proper theatre was the first time I visited Athens. My (then) boyfriend took me to see a play that was supposed to be very good and I ended up absolutely loving it!

Since then, whenever there is a play coming to where I live, I take a good look at the cast, the plot etc, and if I am drawn in, then it means that I will definitely be going to see it. Fortunately, as I said before, they don't come here often, which saves me some money!

But the thing is: how can you not go to the theatre? Granted, not all productions are good, not all actors can build good camaraderie with each other and with the audience. But, when the actors are good, watching the actors acting in real time - live on the stage - can't compare to seeing them in a movie.

I really do admire people who can do that; go on stage and be someone else for 2 hours (even if it is their job). I'm far too self-conscious for that...


1 comment:

  1. Most of what I took out of that was: PHANEE IS A DOLPHIN! So... yeah :P

    Do you remember what the play was that you saw in Athens?

    ReplyDelete

We love comments and we will always reply back to them! If you like, you can always leave your twitter username, so that we can get back to you! :)